A magical place needs magical people
At MKDC, camp staff are directly responsible for the happiness and success of our campers, every day. We take that responsibility very seriously. Becoming a staff member at Maple Key requires a unique blend of incredible focus and attention to detail with a boatload of energy and fun. Got what it takes? Read on.
Should you apply?
You might be a good camp staff candidate if you...
- are pursuing a career in education, child care, recreation, social work, or any team-based environment
- would rather talk face to face than text
- have experience caring for other peoples' children (particularly ages 4 - 12)
- would rather be in the great outdoors than stuck in an office
- enjoy sharing your hobbies and interests with people of all ages
- can check your ego at the door and celebrate life-long learning
- enjoy planning games, parties, and events
We are currently hiring staff for the following positions:
- Waterfront Staff / Lifeguard
- provide thorough supervision at the waterfront as part of a team
- provide instruction in basic water safety
- ensure all staff and campers follow safety procedures at waterfront
- act as programmer or cabin leader (depending on qualifications) during the remainder of the daily schedule
* Note: Applicants must have current NLS certification OR Bronze Cross OR Bronze Medallion (and be willing to complete a course prior to start of the summer, if applicable)
- Cabin Leader
- responsible for supervising a cabin group of up to 12 camper
- maintain the highest possible standards of safety
- foster a positive atmosphere in the cabin
- use appropriate behaviour management and group management techniques
- plan and lead a variety of programs and special events
- ensure that campers are learning and developing skills
- foster a positive atmosphere in activity areas
- use appropriate behaviour management techniques
Skills of Interest
We are always interested in hearing from anyone with the desire to work with us, but if you have any skills or experience in the following areas we are particularly interested in hearing from you:
- fine arts, sports, photography/videography/media, performing arts, wilderness/survival
- any UNUSUAL skills - there is nothing too weird!
Important Camp Dates:
- Thursdays from 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm in May & June (Pre-camp Training)
- Saturday in May (TBA) – Team Building Day
- Saturday in June (TBA) – MKDC’s Open House
- Weekdays from July 3 until August 24, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Thursday evenings during camp (5:30 pm to 7:30 pm) for full staff meeting & staff rec
Read this before applying:
- Working at a camp is the most important job you will probably ever have, because you are looking after other people's children - so your application should be worthy of this level of responsibility.
- We do the majority of our communication regarding hiring via email. If you are serious about a position at MKDC we expect you to check and respond to your email frequently.
- Warning: Camp is no ordinary place, so we aren't looking for ordinary people. We don't always do things in the typical way, and our staffing process reflects this.
- NOT A WRITER? Don't let that stop you! Click here to upload video(s) of you answering the questions instead. (You'll still need to complete the forms here; just leave us a note in your answer telling us that you've sent a file)
- Complete the initial application.
- Questionnaire: You will receive a confirmation email immediately with a supplementary questionnaire to complete. (If you do not receive this email, please check your spam folder, and let us know if it needs to be re-sent)
- Phone Screening: Once you have completed the secondary questionnaire, you will receive another confirmation email. You may be asked to participate in a phone screening. Please be prepared to schedule your phone screening as soon as possible.
- Interview & Project: If you are selected for an in-person interview, you will also be asked to prepare a creative project, which you will need to bring with you to the interview.
- Hiring Decisions: In most cases, applicants will receive the results of their interview within two weeks. Please feel free to contact us at any time for an update on the status of your application.
All successful applicants will be required to provide us with:
- A current criminal reference check (not older than one year) before commencing work.
- A copy of their current Standard First Aid / CPR C certification before commencing work.
- A social insurance number prior to being paid.